Friday, July 9, 2010

Badlands









The Badlands - words fail me when I try to describe the area. It is completely otherworldly-a cross between the Valley of the Kings and the moon. A brochure quotes Frank Lloyd Wright - "---I was totally unprepared for that revelation called the Dakota Bad Lands...What I saw gave me an indescribable sense of mysterious elsewhere-a distant architecture, ethereal...an endless supernatural world more spiritual than earth but created out of it". I totally agree. The photos give some sense of it, but you have to see and experience it yourself. All we kept saying was "WOW", "AWESOME", and many times dead silence.
On a lighter note, the buffalo herd was sighted on a back road on our way out of the park. Animals almost to the horizon. Can understand the plains Indians reverance of them.
Next stop in Buffalo, Wyoming on our way to Yellowstone.




































2 comments:

  1. Hi Peg and Tom,
    I have been traveling along with you. I remember the Bad Lands from our trip. It is "Awesome". Just watch out for rattlesnakes!

    Happy Birthday Peg! Time to Celebrate!
    Cinda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea Yea --- glad you're having a great time --but come back home I miss you!!! :)

    ReplyDelete